Enjoy an exciting experience into the Venezuelan western Llanos interacting with the amazing nature and wildlife and the Llaneros. Catch an anaconda, fish for piranha, ride a boat onto Guaritico river and go birdwatching.
Departing from Merida, this tour takes you from the highlands to the vast plains of Venezuela in a 4 days adventure combining wildlife observations, horseback riding, rafting and so much more.
– Visit the Andes highlands of Venezuela
– Ride a horse and spot wildlife in the Llanos Savanna
– Go Piranha fishing
– Go rafting in an Andean White water river
The journey from Merida to Los Llanos is an adventure in itself. Passing through the Venezuelan highlands your driver will stop in Andean towns and the beautiful Sierra Nevada National Park. You will also visit the local Cocoa and coffee farms located on the foothills of the Andean rainforest. Once you descend from the Andes down into the vast plains of the Llanos you can feel the air warm and you begin to notice the wildlife around you including; Spectacle alligators, hoatzins, egrets, herons, red scarlet ibis, iguanas, kingfishers, storks, armadillos and red howler monkeys. Lunch at a local restaurant where you will sample various local dishes.
When you arrive at the camp, located near Guaritico wildlife sanctuary, you will be given a candlelight dinner, after which you can get to know some of the other travelers and have a few drinks before falling asleep in your bed to the song of the Llanos.
After a wholesome cooked breakfast you will board a small boat and drift through the Guaritico wildlife sanctuary where you can observe pink dolphins, turtles and alligators along with numerous species of birds including ospreys, hoatzins, black collared hawk, jacanas, sunbitterns and the great black hawk among others. We will fish for piranha, the infamous man eating fish that live in abundance in the Llanos. Assuming you survive the piranha fishing, another leisurely lunch at the camp in the afternoon. Then hunting for caiman and anacondas which, at almost 12 meters, are easily the largest snake in existence. (without killing them). Overnight in shared bedrooms at local camp; the piranha look much less dangerous once they have been marinated in garlic and lightly fried.
After Breakfast you will set off on an exciting horseback riding tour across the savannah gallery forest. Your guide will be there to spot birds and reptiles and let you know more about their characteristics and other interesting topics. After lunch, we will drive to the Acequias River on the Andes foothill for dinner and overnight in bunk beds at local rafting camp.
Final breakfast and Rafting activities by the camp at the Acequias River (schedule permitting) with all equipments included and a professional instructor. After lunch we will drive back up through the Andes to Mérida or drop off at Barinas Airport.
– All land and boat transfers
– Overnight in rustic lodges in community rooms with shared bathroom
– All meals except Breakfast on Day 1 + Dinner on Day 4
– Local guides
– Soft drinks during the excursions
– Tips and gratuities to staff
– Flights IN & OUT Barinas
– Best season for this trip is from December until May
– Great to combine it with Catatumbo Lightning and or Los Nevados Trek
– Tours run with 4 person minimum and 8 maximum
– Perfect for families
– Tour can end in Barinas or Merida.
Suggested Items to Bring
– Hiking shoes + River shoes + sandals with good tread and closed toes
– Light cotton trousers, shorts, tee shirts, long-sleeved shirt
– Rain protection (poncho) + Head protection – baseball cap, hat or scarf
– Bathing suit + Microfiber fast drying towel
– Sun protection / sun block + insect repellent
– Small flash light and spare batteries (ideally a “free hands” head torch lamp)
– Small backpack for daily essentials + plastic bag for wet clothes
– Camera + memory cards and a spare battery.
– Phone and Camera charger (110V for Venezuela)
– Phone + Whatsapp application
– Cash money (at least US$ 50 per person for every 2-3 days of travelling)
© 2019 Osprey Expeditions – Powered by GoPlanet